Peace of Mind at Home and Away
Securing your home against burglars isn’t as simple as installing a motion sensor light above the garage or buying the most expensive alarm system money can buy. Home security should be a multilayered defense against intruders — providing peace of mind whether you’re at home or away.
1. Neighbors — Start simple. One of the most effective deterrents against burglars is watchful neighbors. Foster good relationships with your neighbors and encourage others to do the same; that way, you’ll all have an extra set of eyes watching your house.
2. Plants — Plants provide cover for burglars trying to break in. Keep shrubs and trees trimmed away from windows, or plant thorny shrubs to discourage burglars and peeping Toms.
3. Doors — Reinforcing your doors requires more than a solid deadbolt. Although it will cost a little extra, a solid wood door will make it kick-resistant. Likewise, installing extra long screws on the strike plate will make it more secure.
4. Lighting — You shouldn’t rely on motion sensors to deter crime, but outside lighting is a great place to start. Install flood lights in poorly lit areas, light up sidewalks and invest in a timer for inside lights to give the appearance of someone being at home.
5. Windows — Installing key locks on windows will make your standard windows more secure. Regardless, close your curtains to keep your valuables out of sight. Visibility (or lack of) may be the key to keeping burglars away.
With due diligence and some small changes, home security will be less of a worry.
Improving the Security of your home is one of the most important things you can do to protect your family. New technology today makes it easier to monitor your home when your away or just at work. We encourage our clients to look into surveillance systems, both monitored and self monitored options. Many of these systems are very inexpensive compared to just a few years ago.
Beauchain Builders, Inc.
Sterling, VA 20164
Office: (703) 430-9171
5 Star Reviews On Houzz.com