7 Items to Make Your Home a Safer Place
Whether you recently bought a new home or you’ve lived in your house for decades, no residence is complete without proper safety equipment. Below are seven safety features every homeowner should consider adding to their house.
1. Smoke Detectors — Many experts recommend dual-sensor smoke detectors. As the name suggests, these detectors use two sensors; a photoelectric sensor recognizes smoldering fires, and an ionization sensor can detect open flames.
2. Fire Extinguisher — Don’t pick the first fire extinguisher you see at the home improvement store. Choose wisely. Some extinguishers are best for one type of fire but not for others (and some are classified to fight the three major types).
3. First Aid Kit — Injuries happen unexpectedly, so it’s best to be prepared with a first aid kit. Don’t forget to personalize your home’s kit with your family’s essential medications, emergency contacts and physicians’ names.
4. Carbon Monoxide Detector — Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that is a byproduct of fuel-burning appliances like furnaces, fireplaces and portable generators. Detectors provide the only method for homeowners to identify the presence of this poisonous gas.
5. Fire Escape Ladders — These ladders are imperative for safe evacuation from two- and three-story homes. Experts recommend having a ladder stored in each room on upper floors and making sure everyone in the home knows how to use them.
6. Standby Generator — Depending on where you live, a standby generator for your home may be a worthwhile investment. It can be particularly helpful if you live in a rural or storm-prone area or if the electrical grid for your neighborhood often fails.
7. Disaster Kits — Disaster kits go beyond the first aid kit mentioned earlier. Should a flood, hurricane, tornado or other natural disaster strike, be ready with adequate provisions and supplies.
We’re ready to assist you and your family with all your home renovation needs from minor updates to full scale renovations. Our team is ready to make your vision a reality. Call us today and discover the Beauchain Builders difference.
Beauchain Builders, Inc.
Sterling , VA 20164
Office: (703) 430-9171
5 Star Reviews On Houzz.com